Negligence and Motor Vehicle Accidents: Causes of Head On Collisions Explained by Queens Car Accident Lawyers
Head on motor vehicle accidents are some of the most explosive and devastating types of crashes. This is particularly true on fast-moving highways and interstates or in collisions with large commercial vehicles like semi tractor trailers, tankers, 18 wheelers, and other big rigs. Victims who are injured in head on collisions in New York will likely suffer catastrophic personal injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), spinal cord injuries (SCIs), amputations, broken bones, and other debilitating personal injuries. While the good news is that most head on collisions can be completely avoided with the proper exercise of reasonable care, unfortunately the bad news is far too many motorists are negligent in their operation of a motor vehicle. This means that head on collisions are likely to continue at alarming rates.
Here at COHEN & COHEN PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS, P.C. , our experienced Queens car accident lawyers understand how devastating head on collisions are for victims and their families. We represent individuals who have been catastrophically injured or wrongfully killed due to the negligence of another motorists. Call our law firm today for a FREE consultation to learn what your rights to compensation may be in a head on collision caused by the negligence of another motorists.
Causes of Head On Collisions
There are a variety of factors which could cause a head on collision. Generally, the most common causes are due to motorist error. This means the errors that a driver commits. Sometimes there are issues with the roadway itself, such as faded lines, sharp turns, or poor roadway maintenance. In some situations the negligence of a third party, such as a mechanic, could result in a head on collision. In any of these scenarios, victims and their families are the ones who are hurt the most and have the least culpability for the head on collision.
Some of the most common causes of head on collisions include the following:
- Distracted driving – Now thought to be as bad a drunk driving, almost 3,000 people are killed each year due to distracted driving. The primary cause is cell phone use, which New York has made it unlawful to use a cell phone while driving to make a phone call (VTL section 1225-c) or to send text messages, emails, or other communications (VTL section 1225-d).
- Drunk driving – Also illegal under New York Vehicle and Traffic Law section 1192, a motorist with a BAC over .08 is considered to be legally intoxicated. However, the common law may find that a motorist is driving ability impaired as low as .02. Drunk driving is incredibly reckless and unnecessary, especially with the advent of Uber, Lyft, and other ride-sharing.
- Speeding – This is one of the most common VTL violations, and also one of the most common causes of a motor vehicle accident.
- Fatigued or tired driving – Some studies indicate that driving while fatigued could be as dangerous as driving while drunk. That is another shocking study comparing the dangers of drunk driving and other reckless conduct. A driver who drives a vehicle while fatigued is risking their life and the lives of others. They could turn a motor vehicle into an unguided missile which could easily cross the centerline and kill another motorist.
- Unlawful passing – If a motorist tries to pass another vehicle where passing is not allowed, it could result in a catastrophic motor vehicle collision. Passing zones are only allowed in areas where traffic engineers have deemed it safe given the sight range of oncoming vehicles, width of the roadway, speed of the roadway, and other general characteristics of the neighborhood and road. Passing illegally is just dangerous.
- Mechanical errors – Improperly replacing a tire, failing to maintain brakes, or otherwise neglecting to take care of a motor vehicle could result in losing control and crossing the centerline.
Injured in a Head On Collision? Did Another Motorist Cross the Centerline? Call Our Queens Car Accident Lawyers for Help
If you or a loved one were seriously injured by another motorist who crossed the centerline and struck you head on, or if a loved one was wrongfully killed by a motorist who crossed the centerline, call our law firm at COHEN & COHEN PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS, P.C. to learn how we can help protect your rights to compensation under New York law. Our experienced Queens car accident lawyers have dedicated their careers to representing victims who have been catastrophically injured due to the negligence of another. We understand how to establish liability and prove damages in a court to ensure victims get what they are entitled to. Learn how we can help protect your rights to compensation by calling 800-247-8164 for a FREE case evaluation or use our convenient and easy-to-use contact us box available here.