Understanding Liability from our New York City Personal Injury Lawyer: Intersection Car Accident in Queens, NY Explained
An intersection is one of the most dangerous places on a roadway. This is because vehicles have the ability to turn and cross the lanes of other vehicles. By crossing the lane of another vehicle, you are crossing the right-of-way of another vehicle. This is usually not controlled by a traffic control device, but rather by the actions and judgment of a person. While most people know how to safely navigate through an intersection, unfortunately there are still far too many victims who suffer catastrophic injury or wrongful death in an intersection car accident in Queens, NY.
Here at Cohen and Cohen Law Group, P.C., our New York City personal injury lawyer knows just how devastating personal injuries after an intersection motor vehicle accident can be. This is particularly true of trucking accidents with semi tractor trailers, 18 wheelers, delivery vans, and other large trucks. Victims who have been seriously injured in an intersection car accident may be entitled to compensation, including compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, lost future earnings, property damage, loss of consortium, and many other different types of personal injuries. Learn how we can help protect your rights to compensation by calling for a FREE consultation.
Causes of an Intersection Car Accident in Queens
There are many possible reasons why an intersection car accident in Queens, NY would occur. The truth is that the reasons boil down into three main causes, including the following:
- Unreasonable actions – taking risky and careless maneuvers
- Impaired driving – whether it is drunk driving, drugged driving, driving while fatigued, or distracted driving, any type of impaired driving is a very serious and potentially deadly recipe in an intersection
- Driver inexperience – this includes not having good judgment skills or not knowing how to navigate the intersection properly.
In addition to these causes, there is also liability against the municipality for the construction of the intersection, signage, lighting, and other factors of the intersection.
Types of Intersection Accidents Our New York City Personal Injury Lawyer Handles
There are many different types of intersection car accidents that could occur in New York City, including Queens, Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island, and Brooklyn, as well as in neighboring Long Island. Most types of intersection car accidents have clear liability issues under the New York Vehicle and Traffic Law, or VTL. Some of the most common causes that our New York City personal injury lawyer could handle include the following:
- Left turn accidents – under the VTL, a vehicle turning left yields to all other traffic
- Running a red light or stop sign – clear VTL violation
- Failure to yield – under the VTL, specially section 1140 which governs all interactions in an intersection, all vehicles must follow the right-of-way rules and yield to all other vehicles having a superior right-of-way until it is your vehicle’s turn
- Improper lane changes – leaving your lane is always dangerous and cannot be done unless it is safe to do so, especially in an intersection
- Speeding – not only is this a clear VTL violation, but all vehicles approaching an intersection must proceed with caution
- Rear end collision – a vehicle impacting another vehicle from the rear is likely at fault
- Making a U-turn – some motorist use intersections to make a U-turn, especially quieter intersections, but this can be deadly in city blocks where visibility is limited by buildings and is a VTL violation in most instances, and
- Many other common causes.
Injured in an Intersection Accident? Call our New York City Personal Injury Lawyers for Help
If you or a loved one were seriously injured in an intersection car accident in Queens, New York, please call Cohen and Cohen Law Group, P.C. to learn how we can help protect your rights to compensation under New York law. We have dedicated our bodily injury law firm to protecting the rights of victims who have been injured due to the unlawful or negligent acts of another. Learn how we can help you by scheduling your FREE consultation by dialing 800-247-8164 for a FREE case evaluation or use our convenient and easy-to-use contact us box available here to get started.