Understanding Truck Driver Error in New York City Trucking Accidents
There are many possible causes of any type of motor vehicle accident, especially a trucking accident. However, one of the most common causes is truck driver error. This is because, even with an experience truck driver, a large commercial vehicle like an 18 wheeler, tanker, flatbed, or other box truck are always doing to be more difficult to operate and inherently dangerous. Thus, even minor errors could result in large catastrophes. When truck driver error in New York City trucking accidents causes catastrophic personal injuries or the wrongful death of an innocent person, victims and their families need to call the Queens personal injury law firm of Cohen and Cohen Law Group, P.C.
Our dedicated Queens trucking accident lawyers handle many different types of New York City trucking accidents, especially 18 wheeler wrecks causing serious personal injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, amputations, nerve injuries, broken bones, back or neck injuries, significant disfigurement, and other types of serious damages. We focus on helping victims and their families move forward after truck driver error in New York City trucking accidents causes them serious and tragic losses. If you or a loved one were seriously injured in any type of motor vehicle accident with a large truck in Queens, Staten Island, Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, or Long Island, or anywhere else in New York, ask us for a FREE consultation to learn what we can do to help you today.
Truck Driver Error is Usually Preventable and Against NY Law and Federal Regulations
There are many common ways that a truck driver could cause a preventable or avoidable trucking accident in New York. Most of the common causes are entirely preventable with the exercise of reasonable care in the use or operation of a motor vehicle. This includes complying with all of New York Vehicle and Traffic Laws and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations.
New York Vehicle and Traffic laws apply to all motorists in New York operating on New York roadways. The FMCSA regulations apply to every truck driver no matter what state he or she is driving in, coming from, or going to. These regulations apply in New York, and if a truck driver violates these regulations they could be used as evidence of negligence against a truck driver.
Common Examples of Truck Driver Error in New York City Trucking Accidents
There are many common examples of truck driver error leading to serious or fatal New York city trucking accidents. This includes some of the most common causes:
- Speeding – violation of New York VTL
- Driving too fast in inclement weather like snow or ice – NY VTL and common law, and FMCSA violations
- Improper left turns – violation of NY VTL
- Hours of Service violations and driving while fatigued or falling asleep at the wheel – NY common law and FMCSA violations
- Aggressive driving – violations of New York VTL and common law, and FMCSA violation
- Unsecured cargo – NY VTL and FMCSA violation (more requirements under FMCSA)
- Defective equipment like damaged tires, brake mishaps, and steering column issues – NY VTL and common law, and FMCSA violations (more requirements under FMCSA for trucks)
- Drug or alcohol use – NY VTL and common law, and FMCSA violations (NY VTL has .08 BAC limit, common law could give driving while ability impaired (DWAI) and FMCSA requires a 0.0 BAC and no alcohol for 4 hours prior to a shift)
- Distracted driving – NY VTL and common law, and FMCSA violation (FMCSA is only texting while driving), and
- Many other common truck driver errors.
Were You Seriously Injured by a Truck Driver Error? We Can Help
Victims who are injured by truck driver error in New York City trucking accidents may be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, lost wages, lost future earnings, medical bills, loss of consortium, and other damages related to their claim. Call our experienced Queens personal injury lawyers at Cohen and Cohen Law Group, P.C. to learn how we can help you today by dialing 800-247-8164 for a FREE case evaluation or use our convenient and easy-to-use contact us box available here to get started.