Understanding Catastrophic Amputations After a Queens Auto Accident
There are some really bad types of personal injuries, but amputations are usually one of the worst types. This is because an amputation or loss of a limb caused irreversible physical damage and very commonly emotional harm like anxiety, depression, and even phantom pain. Victims who suffer an amputation after a Queens auto accident may be entitled to compensation from a negligent person, business, municipality, or state government. Families of a victim may also be entitled to compensation, especially spouses or children of a victim who may have a loss of consortium claim.
However, insurance companies will not make this claim easy. They specifically train insurance adjusters to fight back on amputation cases because the damages are usually very high. This means that insurance companies will likely have to pay a lot of money to victims and their families. As a result, insurance adjusters and defense lawyers vigorously fight back and hotly contest the claims in an amputation or loss of a limb case. In fact, sometimes the defense is so aggressive that they do not care if a dangerous driver gets away with his or her culpable conduct. But here at Cohen and Cohen Law Group, P.C., our experienced Queens car accident lawyers will not let that happen. We will fight back against negligent parties and their insurance companies who try to protect dangerous drivers. We will hold them to their fair share. Learn more how we can help with a FREE case evaluation.
Types of Amputations After a Queens Auto Accident
There are many different types of amputations that could be caused by a serious motor vehicle accident. Generally, high-speed collisions or collisions with large commercial vehicles like 18-wheelers or other trucks are the types of collisions that are most likely to cause amputations. This is because of the sheer power in these collisions which could case irreparable harm to a limb.
Some of the most common types of amputations that our experienced Queens car accident lawyers may be able to help you with include the following:
- Hand or foot amputations, including partial or full
- Wrist or ankle disarticulation
- Trans-radial or trans-tibial amputations
- Elbow or knee disarticulation
- Trans-humeral or trans-femoral amputation
- Shoulder or hip disarticulation
- Forequarter amputation
- Trans-pelvic disarticulation
- Finger or toe amputation, and
- Many other types of amputations, including parts of the body that are not extremities such as toes, ears, nose, and applicable appendages.
What Type of Compensation May a Victim Recover in an Amputation Case?
Victims who suffer from an amputation may be entitled to various different types of compensation, including the following:
- Past pain and suffering (date of accident to date of receiving compensation)
- Future pain and suffering (date of compensation for the rest of the estimated life)
- Medical bills (past and future)
- Lost wages
- Future lost earnings if unable to work in the same job and take a pay decrease
- Loss of consortium of a loss of services from a loved one
- Emotional or psychological harm
- Mobility assistance devices
- Equipment expenses
- Costs for modifications to a vehicle, home, or office, and
- Many other types of compensation related to the subject accident.
Get Help After an Amputation in Queens
An amputation case is a type of catastrophic personal injury case. It requires an experienced Queens car accident lawyer who can properly establish liability and demonstrate the full extent of damages that a victim deserves. In addition to these technical details that a lawyer needs to know about the law and anatomy/medicine of an amputation case, a lawyer also needs to be confident to zealously prosecute an amputation case because they are usually fiercely defended.
Learn how Cohen and Cohen Law Group, P.C., could help you and your family after any type of amputation due to the negligence of another. We accept cases on a contingency fee agreement which means that there is no upfront cost to having our lawyers and law firm represent you today. Call today by dialing 800-247-8164 or use our convenient and easy-to-use contact us box available here to get the help you deserve.