QUEENS MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYERS
Winning a full and fair insurance settlement for a motorcycle accident injury claim in Queens, New York is difficult. Insurance companies know that the general population has a sentiment that bikers assume a certain risk whenever they ride. Making a strong case for damages in front of a potential jury may be difficult and insurance companies come to the negotiating table feeling as if they have the upper hand.
If you’re looking for a Queens motorcycle accident attorney near you who has experience with these types of hard-fought accident cases, the injury lawyers at Choen & Cohen are here to fight for you.
Why Are Motorcycle Accident Cases Hard To Win?
When it comes to recovering maximum compensation for injuries and losses after a motorcycle accident in Queens and all of NYC, these cases can be tougher than other motor vehicle accident cases like car accidents, bus accidents, and truck accidents. There are a few reasons motorcycle injury cases are more complicated:
- Motorcycle accident law is more complex and requires expertise in the different nuances that may arise during the case. For instance, some motorcycle accident cases require claims for product liability if any of the parts of the motorcycle or gear the rider is wearing were to break or fail, causing the accident to occur.
- Motorcycle accidents can result in more injury than other types of motor vehicle accidents. This is because motorcycle riders are more exposed when on the road than drivers in cars or trucks. Motorcycle riders and their bikes are also lighter and smaller than a car or truck and can receive greater damage upon impact.
- False assumptions are often made about motorcyclists by other drivers, insurance companies, and juries during the possible trial. One of the main assumptions made is that the motorcycle driver is to blame for the accident. Though this often is not the case, it can take more time and effort to prove this assumption false in court and to insurance companies.
The expert Queens motorcycle accident lawyers at COHEN & COHEN PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS, P.C. know the stigma against motorcyclists is false and we are prepared to aggressively fight to get you the compensation you deserve for your injury and losses due to the accident.
What are the Most Common Types of Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents in Queens NYC?
Injuries sustained by riders from motorcycle wrecks are often more severe than those sustained by drivers of car accidents and truck accidents. This is because riders are exposed directly to the road and other hazards when riding, and not protected by the side and cabin of a car or truck. Plus, motorcycles are not as visible on the road and often are not seen by drivers of other vehicles, and thus are more likely to be hit or sideswiped.
When they are hit, motorcycle riders sustain many different types of injuries including but not limited to:
- Road rash after being thrown from the motorcycle. Road rash is an abrasion caused by friction when a person’s skin is scraped on the road after an impact. If a motorcyclist is hit and thrown from their motorcycle, they often get road rash when they land and skid on the road or pavement.
- Bone fractures or breaks sustained after impact. Fractures or breaks to the legs can occur when the motorcycle falls over and crushes the rider’s legs or lower body. Riders also can get wrist and arm fractures if they are impacted and thrown from the motorcycle and land on their upper body.
- Spinal cord injuries after being impacted by another vehicle or thrown from the motorcycle. Spine injuries are unfortunately common among motorcycle accident victims.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) if the rider’s head is hit, bumped, struck, or penetrated. TBIs can occur when a rider hits their head after a crash. A TBI can happen if the rider is wearing a helmet or not, depending on how bad the impact is. TBI’s range from mild to severe depending on the level of consciousness, dysfunction of brain cells, bruising, tearing, and bleeding of the brain. Types of TBIs include concussions, contusions, penetrating brain injuries, and anoxic brain injuries.
- Wrongful death when there is a fatality caused by the crash. Wrongful death occurs when there is negligence involved and sometimes that is the case in motorcycle accidents. If a driver of the other vehicle was distracted or drunk and caused an accident that resulted in a fatality, a wrongful death claim can be made.
We see similar types of injuries occur in bicycle accidents as well since bike and motorcycle riders are often less protected from impact. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, the first thing to do is call 911 and have medical professionals assess any and all injuries you may have incurred. Then, you can call the motorcycle accident lawyers near you at COHEN & COHEN PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS, P.C. for a free case evaluation. Your health is always our number one priority, and we want you to focus on that while we evaluate your case and how to recover the maximum compensation for your injuries and losses.
Steps to Take After You’ve Been In a Queens Motorcycle Accident
After a motorcycle crash, the most important thing to do is stay calm and call 911 and the police right away. Especially if you have been injured, calling 911 and getting medical attention to the scene right away should be priority number one as your health is most important. Then if you can, take the following steps to help make your potential motorcycle accident case stronger and help get you the compensation you deserve.
- Get medical attention right away for any injuries. This step is the most crucial and bears repeating. Do not do anything before medical help is on the way and if you are injured don’t do anything that may cause further damage. Even if you feel fine after the accident, take it easy as injuries may have occurred, and may not be felt until hours, days, or even weeks after the accident.
- Call the police to file an accident report. An accident report filed by NYC police is crucial to a strong case and will help prove liability in the accident. Tell the police exactly what happened and everything you remember about the accident and how it occurred. Do not embellish and avoid taking the blame for the accident or blaming anyone else. Let the police handle that.
- Get the contact and insurance info of the other driver. If you were struck by another vehicle, and you can, speak to the other driver and get their info. Even though they will give this to the police, it’s a good idea to have it in your own records as well so you can give it to your motorcycle injury lawyer for your potential case. Make sure to also write down their license plate and car registration numbers as well.
- Take a lot of photos of the accident and the surrounding scene. These photos should be of your vehicle as well as the other driver or rider’s vehicle. Take photos of the surrounding scene such as skid marks on the road and damage done to anything nearby including other vehicles, road signs, or guard rails. It’s important to take close-ups and high-quality photos, and take as many photos as possible. The more photos of the crash scene the better.
- Get contact info (phone number or email) from any potential witnesses that saw the accident happen. This can be very helpful in court and when proving liability.
- Avoid talking about the accident at the scene of the crash. You do not want to admit any blame or blame anyone else for the accident. It is best to stick with the facts and discuss as little as possible with the other driver and any potential witnesses.
- Do not discuss the accident online or on social media. Posting about the accident online after can hurt your case if you’re not careful. It is best to avoid saying anything on your social profiles as everything said online can be used against you in court.
- Call a Queens motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible after the accident and after you speak to the police. You should call a lawyer even before calling your insurance company, as they can help navigate the difficult insurance process and make sure you get maximum compensation for any injuries and losses due to the accident.
Get a Free Consultation with Our Expert Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Near You – No Fees Unless You Recover Money
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident or lost a family member in a motorcycle crash in the New York City metropolitan area, turn to COHEN & COHEN PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS, P.C., for help. Attorney Albert Cohen leads a team of experienced personal injury lawyers who will advocate aggressively on your behalf. Our firm has recovered millions of dollars in money damages on behalf of clients injured in motorcycle and other types of motor vehicle accidents in New York.
From our injury law offices in Forest Hills, the heart of Queens NY, our accident lawyers represent plaintiffs in personal injury litigation matters in Queens and throughout the New York City metropolitan area. Contact us to schedule a free case evaluation with a Queens motorcycle accident attorney today.
Call A Queens Motorcycle Accident Lawyer At COHEN & COHEN PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS, P.C.
We provide a free, no-obligation case evaluation for all motorcycle accidents and handle all personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. You will not pay lawyers’ fees if we do not help you recover monetary compensation for your claim. Call 347-537-3603 or 718-766-5011 to arrange a free initial consultation. You may also use our convenient email contact form to request a return phone call about your case.