WHAT IS A CARRIAGE UNDERRIDE ACCIDENT? QUEENS TRUCKING ACCIDENT LAWYERS EXPLAIN
UNDERSTANDING A CARRIAGE UNDERRIDE ACCIDENT FROM OUR NEW YORK CITY PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
One of the scariest types of Queens trucking accidents that our New York City personal injury lawyers handle is a carriage underride accident. This is a type of 18 wheeler or tractor trailer accident where a smaller, passenger vehicle gets caught underneath the trailer of the big rig. The risk of a carriage underride is the smaller vehicle’s passenger(s) suffering severe head and neck injuries. Another common risk is getting caught or dragged across the pavement like a shredder. Lastly, the risk of the large wheels running over the smaller vehicle and crushing passengers is significant. Any of these risks can cause catastrophic personal injuries and the wrongful death of an innocent person. There are many possible causes of this type of trucking accident, most of them are due to the reckless, careless, and downright negligent conduct of a truck driver or trucking company.
Here at Cohen and Cohen Law Group, P.C., we know how devastating this type of trucking accident can be. Our experienced New York City personal injury lawyers have handled some of the most catastrophic Queens car accidents, Long Island motor vehicle crashes, and New York trucking accidents. Our experienced legal team and Queens law firm can help build your claim for damages against a negligent truck driver by working with your treating physicians and medical experts. We may also hire some of the leading liability experts to help establish fault against the other party who harmed you. Learn how we can help you with a carriage underride accident by asking for a FREE consultation.
CAUSES OF A CARRIAGE UNDERRIDE ACCIDENT
There are many reasons for carriage underride accidents, and most of them are preventable. Unfortunately, far too many truck drivers take advantage of their large size and try to “muscle” through the roadway or highway without regard for other motorists. This is particularly dangerous for motorcyclists who are harder to see and could easily get sucked under a tractor trailer that is driving aggressively or speeding.
But any motor vehicle could get pulled underneath the trailer of an 18 wheeler—not just a motorcycle. Some of the common causes for a carriage underride accident include the following acts of negligence by a truck driver:
- Improper lane changes
- Hard turns
- Wide turns
- Jackknife accidents
- Aggressive driving
- Drunk driving
- Drugged driving, including cocaine which truck drivers use to stay awake to drive longer when tired
- Improper mergers onto a highway or interstate
- Failure to yield to the right-of-way
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Hard braking
- Mechanical failures
- Snow, ice, and rain issues, and
- Many other common causes that our New York City personal injury lawyer could handle for you.
COMMON INJURIES FROM CARRIAGE UNDERRIDE ACCIDENTS IN QUEENS TRUCKING ACCIDENTS
There are many common injuries that could occur in a carriage underride accident that our lawyers at Cohen and Cohen could handle for you. This includes many catastrophic and severe injuries, some resulting in wrongful death. Other injuries may cause intense and prolonged pain and suffering. Some of the most common personal injuries from carriage underride accidents include the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) including concussions, coup-contrecoup, diffuse axonal, brain bleeds, penetrating brain injuries, and other serious head injuries or brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries (SCIs), including paraplegia and quadriplegia
- Broken bones or fractured bones, including compound fractures
- Amputations, especially to the arms or wrists
- Burn injuries and chemical burns
- Extreme disfigurement and scarring from lacerations, road rash, or other cuts
- Crushing injuries, especially due to the wheels
- Back injuries or neck injuries including herniations, slipped discs, annular tears, and related injuries, and
- Many other catastrophic injuries for our New York City personal injury lawyers at our Queens trucking accident law firm, including wrongful death.
GET HELP WITH COHEN AND COHEN
New York carriage underride accidents are very serious and can be debilitating and catastrophic. Victims who are injured in these types of collisions are most likely going to have high medical bills, lost wages, significant pain and suffering, loss of consortium, future medical costs, lost future earnings, and other significant damages. If you or a loved one was seriously injured in a trucking accident occurring in New York City, Queens, Long Island, or anywhere else in New York, ask our experienced lawyer at Cohen and Cohen Law Group, P.C. for help with your case. We offer a FREE case evaluation by dialing (718) 275-7779 or use our convenient and easy-to-use contact us box available here.