Understanding Your Rights: Brain Injury After a Car Accident in Queens, Explained by Our NYC Auto Accident Lawyer
One of the most significant and devastating types of personal injuries is a traumatic brain injury, or TBI. According to the CDC, TBIs are a major cause of death and disability in the United States which is caused by a “bump, blow, or jolt to the head that disrupts the normal function of the brain.” There are many different classifications of TBIs based on the type of injury and severity. There are also many different causes of a TBI, but a brain injury after a car accident in Queens, NY is a common cause.
But with all these differences once thing remains the same that a victim of a serious motor vehicle accident in New York City should contact an experienced NYC auto accident lawyer like one of ours at Cohen and Cohen Law Group, P.C. Our bodily injury law firm handles some of the most severe and devastating personal injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, head injuries, brain damage, spinal cord injuries, and other injuries to the brain or spinal cord after a motor vehicle accident. Learn how our experienced brain injury lawyers can help recover the compensation that you deserve today by calling for a FREE case evaluation.
What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
Outside of the CDC definition, a traumatic brain injury or TBI is a type of brain injury that alters the way that the brain functions in some way or another due to damage. This means that victims may have physical damage or chemical changes in their brain from the injuries. A TBI could heal by itself without and lasting injuries, or a brain injury could have catastrophic and disabling injuries. Sometimes a brain injury could also cause an injury that makes a victim more susceptible to disabling injury in a second accident. This is sometimes known as second impact syndrome.
What makes some TBIs tricky is that they do not always show up on objective imaging like MRIs, CT-scans, x-rays, or other devices. This means that if a TBI starts out with mild symptoms, a victim may not realize it right after a motor vehicle accident. But the symptoms may continue to grow and get worse as they become more debilitating. This means that a victim could end up with debilitating symptoms from a TBI that do not manifest themselves for several weeks or months after a crash.
Symptoms of a TBI
There are many different symptoms of a TBI that a victim and his or her family should be aware of. If you notice these symptoms, make sure to note them immediately and contact your physician. Our NYC auto accident lawyer for a brain injury after a car accident in Queens, NY should also be told about any symptoms that you experience, including symptoms that are increasing, worsening, or new symptoms that are appearing.
Some of the symptoms of a mild TBI include the following:
- Loss of consciousness
- Headaches or migraines
- Being dazed or confused, even disoriented
- Changes in sleep patterns, either having trouble sleeping or sleep excessively
- Dizziness, vertigo, or loss of balance like the room is spinning or shaking
- Excessive fatigue, even after a long sleep
- Ringing in the ears
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Memory issues or concentration problems
- Problems with problem solving and speech, and
- Other abnormal symptoms.
Some symptoms of a moderate or severe TBI include all of the symptoms above, plus some of the following:
- Continuous headaches that do not go away with pain medication
- Repeated episodes of vomiting, often with little warning
- Convulsions or seizures, including new seizure disorders that were not previously present
- Dilation of one pupil in the eye, sometimes both in catastrophic cases
- Inability to sleep at all or inability to be awoken
- Tingling or weakness in the extremities, especially the fingers or toes
- Complete loss of coordination
- Mood swings, including agitation, aggression, or other serious symptoms
- Slurred speech and difficult speaking
- Uncharacteristic behavior, and
- Other serious and abnormal symptoms.
Were You Injured in a New York City Car Accident? Ask our NYC Auto Accident Lawyer for Help
Here at Cohen and Cohen Law Group, P.C., we work with victims and families who have had their lives uprooted by the reckless or negligent conduct of another person, business, or state/municipal entity. We work hard to ensure that victims and their families recover the compensation that they deserve to cover their lost wages and medical bills, as well as for their pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and other emotional or physical injuries. If you or a loved one have been seriously injured and suffered any type of TBI or brain injury after a car accident in Queens, NY, call for a FREE consultation to learn how we can start to help you today by dialing 800-247-8164 for a FREE case evaluation or use our convenient and easy-to-use contact us box available here.