Best Staten Island Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near You
Many bicyclists feel a false sense of security as they cruise through the streets of Staten Island, as it is less congested than other areas of New York such as Manhattan or Brooklyn. However, while there is less congestion in terms of traffic, there still are plenty of distracted, inattentive, and negligent drivers on the road still. In fact, Staten Island bicycle accidents have steadily become more prevalent over the last 10 years. Many times drivers who strike bicyclists claim they didn’t see the bicyclist even though they were right in front of them.
While bicyclists can take extra precautions, and prepare for every situation, bicyclists are little match for a car when it comes to a collision. Whether they are delivering packages, exercising, or trying to commute to and from work, many bicyclists face risks every time they choose to take to the streets of Staten Island. Bicyclists place a great amount of trust in motor vehicle operators and those responsible for road maintenance, to practice proper duty of care and ensure the roads are safe to travel on. After all, it takes no more than a split second for a bicyclist to sustain life-altering injuries when colliding with a vehicle or falling victim to a pothole.
What a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Can Do For You
In the event that you have sustained injuries resulting from a bicycle accident in Staten Island caused by a taxi door opening, road irregularities, obstructed pathways, or any other circumstance leading to personal injury, reach out to Cohen & Cohen Personal Injury Lawyers, P.C. for assistance. Our legal team of Staten Island bike accident lawyers specializes in handling personal injury cases and can be contacted via phone at (718) 213-4625 or email us for further information.
The Staten Island bike accident attorneys at Cohen and Cohen have been representing clients injured by negligent drivers since 2003. We understand how frustrating it can be when someone else’s negligence causes injury or death. Our goal is to help our clients obtain full recovery for their losses including compensation for injuries, damage, pain, and suffering. Our personal injury lawyers in Staten Island are here to talk about your potential case during a free, no obligation evaluation. We only take personal injury cases on contingency. This allows us to focus on determining the best plan of action for your unique situation without the added financial stress of mounting legal fees.
This article covers:
- Main Causes Of Staten Island Bike Accidents
- Most Common Bike Accident Injuries
- How To Pick the Right Bike Accident Attorney For Your Case
- Contact a Nearby Bike Accident Attorney in Staten Island
Main Causes Of Bicycle Accidents In Staten Island
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), bicycle accidents are most often caused by being struck by a vehicle during a car accident or truck accident. There are many other causes of bicycle accidents, including:
- Hitting something on the road
- Poor road conditions
- Striking a fixed object
- Swerving to avoid an animal
However, by far the most common cause of injury is being struck by a vehicle. Due to the bicycle’s small size and the fact that the driver is primarily unprotected, the damage sustained is severe. Additionally, there are times when a bicycle accident can be fatal, leaving those left behind with a great deal of pain and heartache.
The following are various causes of collisions with bicycles and motorists in Staten Island:
- Distracted Driving – A person’s attention is often diverted by their phone, other passengers, their thoughts, music, or other distractions. Whenever a driver takes their eyes off the road for even a split second, they are putting everyone else around them at risk. Distracted driving is a significant contributor to dangerous driving practices.
- Low Visibility – It may be more difficult to see bicycles due to their small size. It is important to note that bicycles are no bigger than the average motorcycle. Therefore it is the motorist’s responsibility to watch out for them.
- Failure To Yield – It is possible for an accident to result in a fatality when a motorist fails to yield when they are supposed to. This includes intersections, stop signs, and stop lights.
- Dangerous Roads – Motorists who encounter unsafe road conditions can cause a collision with a bicyclist. This is usually caused by unsafe construction zones (construction accidents) or poorly maintained roads.
Most Common Staten Island Bicycle Accident Injuries
There is an equal right for bicyclists to use the bike lanes as there is for drivers of vehicles to use the road. Due to the lack of protective safety features on bicycles, cyclists often suffer serious, and even fatal, injuries in the event of a crash. The most common injuries sustained by cyclists on Staten Island range from bruises and bumps to life-altering disabilities, and many victims suffer more than one serious injury.
A bicyclist who is struck by a car is most likely to experience the following injuries:
- Head Injuries – A head injury may include a scrape on the head or a fracture of the skull, either of which may result in a brain injury. Therefore it is important to wear a properly fitting and safety-regulated helmet while riding a bicycle anywhere.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – In the United States, brain injuries account for one of the leading causes of death among injured bikers. During a motorcycle accident, riders may sustain a brain injury without experiencing any visible injuries to their heads, such as concussions or other forms of closed-head injuries. Several different symptoms may result from a traumatic brain injury, including memory loss, mood swings, disturbances in bodily function, and even permanent mental and emotional changes.
- Bodily Trauma – There are almost always musculoskeletal injuries, and soft tissue injuries, sustained by bicyclists after a crash. Those who are struck on the back wheel may suffer whiplash, whereas those who are struck on the side may suffer broken legs or torn ligaments in their knee joints. When riders attempt to brace themselves for a fall following a collision, their shoulders may dislocate or their hands and wrists may be broken. It is also possible to suffer broken ribs or internal bleeding as a result of these types of trauma.
- Back Injuries – The spinal columns of bicyclists who are struck by extreme force may be damaged after a crash. In the event of severe trauma to the neck and back, herniated discs or spinal cord damage may result. These types of injuries can turn into paralysis quickly.
- Facial Injuries – Accidents involving bicycles can cause significant damage to the rider’s face, including broken or lost teeth, fractured jaws, eye damage, broken noses, or road rash that leaves permanent scars.
- Wrongful Death – Many factors can increase the odds of a bicycle accident becoming fatal, including speeding, distracted driving, alcohol and drug use, as well as unsafe road conditions. Contact a wrongful death attorney as soon as possible if a loved one was killed in a bicycle accident.
An investigation should be conducted as soon as possible when a person is injured in a bicycle accident. In the aftermath of a motor vehicle accident, there are a number of parties who may be liable for medical care, lost income, emotional trauma, and any other long-term damage caused by the accident. Due to the fact that bicycle injuries often necessitate extensive treatment and rehabilitation, it is critical that victims carefully consider all of their available options.
How To Pick The Right Bike Accident Lawyer For Your Injury Case
Choosing the right lawyer for a Staten Island bike accident law suit can be a daunting task. You need to find a bike attorney that is not only well versed in your type of case, but also willing to aggressively fight for your rights and the full compensation you’re entitled to. It’s vital to call and get a consultation on your case before making any decisions on representation for your bike accident case.
Cohen & Cohen Law Firm was founded on the principles of integrity, excellence and respect for our clients. Our goal is to not only maximize compensation for injury victims, but to go the extra mile to obtain optimal results. See below examples of settlements we have secured for various types of accidents in New York.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
Read this 5-star Google review below regarding a personal injury case in Staten Island.
“Cohen and Cohen are very outstanding . They handle everything from the beginning of my case till the end in a very professional manner. Helped me with my injuries right away with physical therapy and any assistance I needed in transportation with my case. Wouldn’t have chose anyone else, I knew from the start they were genuine and wanted what was best for me and my case. I would recommend highly!!”
Contact A Staten Island Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near You
Contact Cohen & Cohen Personal Injury Lawyers, P.C. if you have been injured in a bicycle accident due to someone else’s negligence. The founder of our law firm, Albert Cohen, has extensive knowledge and experience in representing out-of-state tourists as well as New York City residents in bicycle accident claims.
Pedestrians and bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as other road users, including observing the same rules of the road, being aware of their surroundings and practicing proper duty of care. It is also important for drivers of motor vehicles to take into account the different sizes and speeds of bicycles. Additionally, potholes, manhole covers, and other defects present deadly dangers that can cause even the most defensive techniques to be rendered ineffective.
Whether you are seeking medical treatment for your injury or grieving the loss of a loved one, our team of bicycle accident attorneys will handle every aspect of your case. Whenever you have been injured in a bike accident in Staten Island, our team at Cohen & Cohen Personal Injury Lawyers, P.C. will investigate your case and pursue compensation on your behalf. Please do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss all your options before speaking with any insurance companies that wish to settle.